Scene 1. You are at the mall and you bumped into an old friend/acquaintance and the first thing he/she asks you after saying “hi” is “Are you married?”
Scene 2. You are online in Facebook and an old classmate/friend chats with you and again the first thing he/she asks is “are you married?”
Scene 3. You are at a family gathering and relatives ask you “When are you going to get married?”
You hear yourself silently saying, “Oh no, not those questions again!” These scenes suck big time and I really hate them. I mean, why do people always have to ask you if you are in a relationship or if you are married? Can they not ask something else?
Here you are enjoying your time being single. You are confident that you are happy as you are and then there they are, suddenly asking you this stupid question, making you feel uncomfortable. I know because I feel an awful lot uncomfortable. And that question doesn’t stop there. The moment you answer them “No, I’m single.” The more it leads to a lot more questions. “Why are you still single?” “You are such a wonderful person. It’s impossible for you to be unattached.” Don’t you have plans of settling down?” “How old are you now? You know you are not getting any younger.”
Oh, yes I know how to count my age and I don’t want to talk about it. I mean, what can they do if I am single? I know I’m straight and I know I’m normal. I have a lot of things planned for myself and I could not see where the part of settling down fits in. At least not right now. I believe that things like falling in love and getting married come at the right time, in God’s time. It will happen when God will it to happen. As for now, I am happy just being who I am. I am enjoying the company of friends and family that I have right now and I don’t feel alone. So don’t come at me and ask me those questions unless you can do something to change my status. For now, leave me alone. Thank you. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment